Two albums have just gotten a release date and I can’t wait to listen more rock and acoustic indie sounds? Seriously.
1) Hole – Nobody’s Daughter – April 17
Ok, this one had release dates before and in the meantime Courtney Love turned it into a Hole record. The album was produced by Linda Perry, Billy Corgan, and Michael Beinhorn, who helmed Hole’s previous album, 1998’s Celebrity Skin (source). Last week, Hole performed the new song Samantha on a late night UK TV show.
2) Tracey Thorn – Love and Its Opposite – May 18
Although produced by Ewan Pearson, judging from the album opener, this sounds more like an acoustic affair. You can download, Oh, the Divorces!, of the former Everything But The Girl leadsinger from pitchfork. I’m so into the album cover. And I know a few people who might get a tingeling sensation downstairs, when they hear, that Love And Its Opposite features a collaboration with Jens Lekman.
Here are my winter charts, but really, I am only listening to Tracey Thorn’s new album, Out Of The Woods (thanks bb). When I heard the opening song, I was quite shocked, thinking I was listening to Sinead O’Connor. That changed with the second song, A-Z, which is one of my favourites.
Although, she uses a lot of phrases (some of them (may be) worn out), it works for me.
You’ve been balanced on a knife
Will the city save your life
You’ve been waiting for so long
Just for somewhere to feel like home
Two more songs need to be singles: Grand Canyon and Raise The Roof. And there is a nice cover version of Arthur Russell’s Get Around To It.
Panda’s been balanced on a knife
I have included links to listen to the songs (#), a lot of them on myspace. Do not judge.
- Dennis Ferrer – The World As I See It – Defected – (#)
This is my favourite deep house album at the moment. Church Lady is the lead single for me. There are a couple of remixes that got released recently but the original is still the best.
- Deichkind – Remmi Demmi (Egoexpress Remix D) – Universal – (#)
I totally missed this one when it was released in Spring of 2006. It just didn’t make it to Canada. 70ties German Bürgerlichkeit mit Katja E. und Sauna und so. The cover looks a bit like an old Bernhard Willhelm collection. Video.
- Arnold Jarvis – If I Stay (Jus’ Dope Remix) – Kif – (#)
- Vernessa Mitchell – Higher (Silk’s Original Mix) – Silk
Viola recommended this one after she found it on a disc that Pirahnahead gave her. Extremely uplifting.
- Mr. White – You Rock Me / The Sun Can’t Compare – Alleviated Records – (#)
This one appears on so many DJ lists it is unbelievable. Double A side.
- Justus Köhncke – Overhead – Kompakt – (#)
- Gary Bardouille – Starting Over (Aaron’s Stripped Down Church Edit) – Soul Heaven – (#)
He seems to have a very fresh myspace profile with more gospel house songs.
- SUMO – Lovebeat (Karizma’s K2 Darq Dub) ft. Clarisse Muvemba – Heya Hifi – (#)
- Anane – Walking On Thin Ice (Masters At Work Dub) – Vega – (#)
I like the dub version of Yoko Ono’s hit best. So raw.
- Herb LF – Jam 2 Da Mother / Miles (Soulphiction Remix) – Farside – (#)
- Kompis – In Somebody’s Spot (Ralph Myerz Space Shuttle Shuffle Mix) – Sunday Best – (#)
- Alexkid ft. Liset Alea – Nightshade (Rodriguez Junior Mix) – F Communications – (#)
- Ianeq – The Focaccia Pretext – Mental Groove – (#)
Das geht so ab. funky.
- Jesse Rose – You’re All Over My Head / Evening Standard – Dubsided – (#)
Sabs said You’re All Over My Head has the sound of a lesbian disco in Paris.
Although released in 2006, Rehab (Hot Chip Remix) by Amy Winehouse is the first song I downloaded this year. Get it over at arjan writes.
They tried to make me go to rehab but I said no, no, no
Tracey Thorn’s second solo album, Out Of The Woods, is going to be released in March 2007. You can listen to the first single, It’s All True, (including the trippy Martin Buttrich remix of the same) at her myspace page.
Still, my favourite Buttrich remix is his version of Moloko’s Familiar Feelings.
Steffi introduced me to it.