click above and watch and then watch this:
Two albums have just gotten a release date and I can’t wait to listen more rock and acoustic indie sounds? Seriously.
1) Hole – Nobody’s Daughter – April 17
Ok, this one had release dates before and in the meantime Courtney Love turned it into a Hole record. The album was produced by Linda Perry, Billy Corgan, and Michael Beinhorn, who helmed Hole’s previous album, 1998’s Celebrity Skin (source). Last week, Hole performed the new song Samantha on a late night UK TV show.
2) Tracey Thorn – Love and Its Opposite – May 18
Although produced by Ewan Pearson, judging from the album opener, this sounds more like an acoustic affair. You can download, Oh, the Divorces!, of the former Everything But The Girl leadsinger from pitchfork. I’m so into the album cover. And I know a few people who might get a tingeling sensation downstairs, when they hear, that Love And Its Opposite features a collaboration with Jens Lekman.
Here are my dj charts that I should have posted half a year (or something) ago. Since my last countdown was posted in April, this is almost like a best of 2009. So late. So sorry. But so good.
More recent charts are just around the corner. I promise.
- Jerome Sydenham – Ecoute (Ecoute!) – UK Promotions
Has some “Sylvester – Dance (Disco Heat)” (Martha Wash and Izora Armstead on vocals) in the mix and turns it into a modern disco house track. Love it.
- The Gossip – Love Long Distance (Riva Starr Remix Vocal) – Sony
The remix on soundcloud is not the complete version, but you get the idea of the cut up vocals. Stomper.
- Derrick Carter – A Hope (Over U) (D’s Meeting House Dub) – Classic
Super house classic from the Mo Pschidt Ep, has the chipmunk Friends (The 1:00 Club) on the flipside. I got into it again last year and have been spinning it quite a bit. Both sides.
- Omar-S – Lift Him Up feat. Don Q and Still Serious Nic – FXHE
Lift Him Up is a raw gospel deep house monster featuring Omar-S’s brother on vocals. Still Serious Nic is seriously rough.
- Lady Gaga – Bad Romance (Hercules & Love Affair Mix) – Interscope
You can’t escape Gaga after this nu disco Hercules remix. Best mix of her songs so far. There is also a dub version if you can’t stand the vocals.
- Pezzner – Shasta (Master King Reprise Mix) – Physical Graffiti
Hysterical peak time track. Deep shet.
- Aaron-Carl – I Refuse (Quentin Harris Remix) – Wall Shaker Music
Love the Prince samples in this one. And combined with AC’s vocals, ahhhh, unbeatable.
- DJ T. – Shine On (Motor City Drum Ensemble Warehouse Dub Mix) – Get Physical
Just one of many great Motor City Drum Ensemble mixes that came out last year. Check out Danielo on soundcloud for the latest on Motor City songs.
- The Phenomenal Handclap Band – You’ll Disappear (Horse Meat Disco Remix) – Gomma
Nu disco, space disco. Not sure what to call it.
- Dennis Ferrer – Sinfonia Della Notte – Strictly Rhythm
- Romanthony – Miami (Mix 1)
New, raw production with a vocal loop “Have you ever been to Miami?”
- Justus Köhncke – Lieder der Nacht feat. Marianne Rosenberg – E’de Cologne
So gay. So good. So German.
- Marc Evans – Tonight’s The Night (Miguel Migs Salted Dub) – Defected
- Michael Gray, Danism & Lisa Millett – Say Yes – Defected
- Jovonn feat. Koffee the Story – Kitty Kat (Original Main Mix) – NextMoov
I always fall for some good pussy talk.
- RÃ³isÃn Murphy – Orally Fixated
This one was all over the interwebs when Roisin finally released it. Still pumping.
- Todd Terry – Play On (Eddie Thoneick Remix) feat. Tara Macdonald – Strictly Rhythm
That’s not all. Here’s some Michael Jackson. I love to play these mixes:
- Michael Jackson – Remember The Time (Silky Soul 12” Mix) – Sony
One of my (if not the) favourite MJ remixes. Steve Silk Hurley turned Remember The Time into a house classic. Sorry, couldn’t find a good link for the 12″ version.
- Michael Jackson – Rock With You (Frankie Knuckles Favourite Club Mix) – Sony
This one is so smooth. A good start into the night. I believe it was first released as the B-Side to “You Are Not Alone” in 1995.
- Argy & The Martinez Brothers – Debbie Downer – Objektivity
This came out before Michael’s death. It has a sample (“don’t you dare”) that definitely sounds like MJ, but I can’t make out the song it’s from. Any ideas?
Last fall, Mama Murphy had performed the song live. Now, listen to the studio version of the new Roisin Murphy single, Momma’s Place (not sure how long the link will last). Update: The final version of the song is now posted on her facebook page.
The piano house track, including 4 remixes, will be released January 18 through AWAL. It also sounds like there is a sample of an 80’s synthpop track in there…
And one more. Roisin is going to be featured on a Crookers single, Royal T. The track was part of her Viktor & Rolf soundtrack. The song is getting a remix treatment by one of my favourites, Riva Starr, who also did the amazingly cut-up remix of Love Long Distance by The Gossip. Listen to a 30 sec preview of Royal T (Riva Starr Remix). (via)
Finally, Lady Gaga is on it. Hercules & Love Affair have taken over the Lady’s new single, Bad Romance. So ready for it.
Ich bin auch ganz begeistert that Gaga sings parts in französich.
So international. Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah-ah. Roma-roma-mamaa.
You can stream Roisin Murphy’s new pumping single, Orally Fixated on her facebook or myspace page.
Eat Me. Eat Me. Eat Me.
My friends at omgblog report that this is one of three new singles to come out over the next months through online distributor AWAL. Orally Fixated will soon be available from The Guardian for free for a limited time. Can’t wait for remixes.
Roisin Murphy premiered new songs in London last weekend. Her pregnancy seems to have popped out “Momma’s Place”. She sounds amazing, singing live over the pumping beats. The synths in the background sound like a sample, no?
The first single to Roisin’s planned new album is supposed to be “Demon Lover”. During an interview with BBC6 early this year she described it as a “big funky house track”. Not sure when the album drops, as she was also talking about releasing it in bundles, maybe as EPs? So, let’s hope we’re getting some new stuff soon.