Loving the whole album.
My secret favourite is Unaufmerksamkeitsblindheit (Achtung Gorilla!).
Yesterday, I heard How Long by Lipps Inc. for the first time. Immediately, I felt like a little schoolgirl but acted all super butch. No one around me noticed what was going on deep inside of moi. (Not that this is a change from any other day.)
Anyways, I got my disco lesson.
If you don’t know what I’m about, just listen to Justus Köhncke’s club hit from 2004, Timecode, which I now love even more.
p.s. and of course How Long is a cover version to begin with
Here are my winter charts, but really, I am only listening to Tracey Thorn’s new album, Out Of The Woods (thanks bb). When I heard the opening song, I was quite shocked, thinking I was listening to Sinead O’Connor. That changed with the second song, A-Z, which is one of my favourites.
Although, she uses a lot of phrases (some of them (may be) worn out), it works for me.
You’ve been balanced on a knife
Will the city save your life
You’ve been waiting for so long
Just for somewhere to feel like home
Two more songs need to be singles: Grand Canyon and Raise The Roof. And there is a nice cover version of Arthur Russell’s Get Around To It.
Panda’s been balanced on a knife
I have included links to listen to the songs (#), a lot of them on myspace. Do not judge.
- Dennis Ferrer – The World As I See It – Defected – (#)
This is my favourite deep house album at the moment. Church Lady is the lead single for me. There are a couple of remixes that got released recently but the original is still the best.
- Deichkind – Remmi Demmi (Egoexpress Remix D) – Universal – (#)
I totally missed this one when it was released in Spring of 2006. It just didn’t make it to Canada. 70ties German Bürgerlichkeit mit Katja E. und Sauna und so. The cover looks a bit like an old Bernhard Willhelm collection. Video.
- Arnold Jarvis – If I Stay (Jus’ Dope Remix) – Kif – (#)
- Vernessa Mitchell – Higher (Silk’s Original Mix) – Silk
Viola recommended this one after she found it on a disc that Pirahnahead gave her. Extremely uplifting.
- Mr. White – You Rock Me / The Sun Can’t Compare – Alleviated Records – (#)
This one appears on so many DJ lists it is unbelievable. Double A side.
- Justus Köhncke – Overhead – Kompakt – (#)
- Gary Bardouille – Starting Over (Aaron’s Stripped Down Church Edit) – Soul Heaven – (#)
He seems to have a very fresh myspace profile with more gospel house songs.
- SUMO – Lovebeat (Karizma’s K2 Darq Dub) ft. Clarisse Muvemba – Heya Hifi – (#)
- Anane – Walking On Thin Ice (Masters At Work Dub) – Vega – (#)
I like the dub version of Yoko Ono’s hit best. So raw.
- Herb LF – Jam 2 Da Mother / Miles (Soulphiction Remix) – Farside – (#)
- Kompis – In Somebody’s Spot (Ralph Myerz Space Shuttle Shuffle Mix) – Sunday Best – (#)
- Alexkid ft. Liset Alea – Nightshade (Rodriguez Junior Mix) – F Communications – (#)
- Ianeq – The Focaccia Pretext – Mental Groove – (#)
Das geht so ab. funky.
- Jesse Rose – You’re All Over My Head / Evening Standard – Dubsided – (#)
Sabs said You’re All Over My Head has the sound of a lesbian disco in Paris.
Friday night I had the EXTREME pleasure to spin a couple of records for Justus Köhncke’s and Michael Hengsberg’s birthday bash in Cologne. Their party was held at Laila.
Click for lots of party pictures.
Almost all pics by Oliver.
Continue reading “Pirates of the Disco”