I rarely buy vinyl these days but once in a while there comes a record that is so good I have to get it twice. This one is buy Australian gay gayness duo stereogamous feat. Shaun J Wright. The melancholic deep house song is carried by Shaun’s smooth yet determined vocals. Face Love Anew in XTC.
You might remember Shaun J Wright from the last Hercules & Love Affair album and his solo debut on Andy Butler’s MR INTL label called Forevermore. I had included a remix of Forevermore on one of my minimixes.
Favourite versions of Face Love Anew: the orginal, Jason Kendig and Horse Meat Disco Remix. Listen below.
As I haven’t done dj charts in awhile this is almost a very late best of 2011 house and disco list. Listen and download my new disco house mini mix, which includes song of the songs below. Track list on soundcloud.
- Prince Club – Love Jackson
This is basically a four to the floor remix of Janet Jackson’s Someone To Call My Lover with sloooooowed down vocals. Also, check out the Club’s Sax Bomb.
- Solomun – Love Recycled 1 – 2DIY4
Samples Michael McDonald’s “I Keep Forgetting” which was turned into the hip-hop hit “Regulate” by Warren G in the 90ties.
- SSION – Weird Yearz (das hussy remix)
My dj bff hussy came up with the bubbling trance house version of the SSION hit.
- Storm Queen – It Goes On / Look Right Through (Jamie Jones Remix) – Environ
Morgan Geist’s Storm Queen project has been on every bodies playlist last year. At the end of February MK will provide additional remixes in his classic 90ties chopped up vocal style.
- Daphni – Ahora – Amazing Sounds
Art Department feat Soul Clap – We Call Love (Daphni Remix) – Crosstown Rebels
Daphni is the house side of Caribou’s Dan Snaith. Ahora and the We Call Love remix are both very funky and trippy house workouts. Perfect for the dance floor. Crazy synths included.
- Lady Gaga – Marry The Night (Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs Remix) – Interscope
Gets rid of almost all of Gaga’s vocals and turn Marry into a monster.
- Britney Spears – Toxic (Hrdvision Remix)
Britney will never be more trance than this. Make sure to watch the video which is perfectly matched to the slowed down version.
- Shaun J Wright – Forevermore (Hazed Mix by Ha-Ze Factory) – Mr. INTL
The bass line is so addictive for the dance floor. Paired with Hercules & Love Affair vocalist Shaun’s voice this is such a classic house treat.
- Max Essa – How Do You Feel (Kim Ann Foxman Remix) – NeedWant
Mario Basanov – Lonely Days – NeedWant
Coyote – Always (Neville Watson Remix) – NeedWant
Just three of my favourite songs from the London based NeedWant label specializing in house / disco / tropical.
- Light Fires – 10 ft. Tall / If You’re Bored
Regina The GentleLady is the front drag queen of the Light Fires. We had her perform at Hontuts many times and every time she brought the house down. Watch If You’re Bored on the tiny Hotnuts stage.
- Sylvester – Band of Gold (Gay Marvine Re-Edit) -Secret Mixes Fixes
- Omar S presents – Who Wrote The Rules of Love (Shadow Ray Remix) – FXHE
- Lisa Stansfield – People Hold On (KOKO Re-Edit) – Gamm
- Die Vögel – Fratzengulasch – Pampa Records
Always fun to drop a German language song into a dj set.
- DJ Jus Ed – I’m Com’In (Levon Vincent Remix) – Underground Quality
- Tracey Thorn – You Are a Lover (Clock Opera Remix) – Strange Feeling
Love the Klaviergeklimpere of the remix.
- Billy Ray Martin – Sweet Suburban Disco (Vince Clark Remix) – Disco Activisto
- Jessica 6 – White Horse (Populette Remix) – Peacefrog
- Paul McCartney – Coming Up (Justus Köhncke’s Extended Tribute)
This will probably be the only PMC song that I’m into. Also love the video with lots of Paul’s.
- Hercules & Love Affair – Shelter -Moshi Moshi
It’s a pity that this stunning house cover of The XX was not included on the H&LA album. Kim Ann Foxman’s voice sounds so fresh and clear. Was first released as the B-Side to the Painted Eyes single and later avaiable as a bonus track to the American re-release of the album.
- Omar S – Solely Supported – FXHE Records
- Miguel Migs feat. Meshell Ndegeocello – Close Your Eyes (Deetron Remix) – OM Records
Meshell’s smooth vocals over an acid house track. YES!
- Shirley Murdock – As We Lay (Pirahnahead’s Inside Out Mix)
Enya – Orinoco Flow [Sail Away] (Pirahnahead Remix)
If you’re looking for classic soulful house, these Pirahnahead remixes are the way to go.
- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs – Garden (Jesse Rose Remix) – Made To Play
- Eli Escobar feat. Nomi Ruiz – Desire – Plant Music
Whether Nomi sings with Jessica 6 or on this one, I can’t resist her voice.
- Kyle Hall – Ghosten – Third Ear
Melancholic house at it’s best.
- Manuel Tur feat. Holly Backler – Most of this Moment – Freerange Records
We’re having Big Fun! Inner City says HI.
- Hrdvision – I Can’t Exist – Areal Records
- Toddla T feat. Roisin Murphy – Cherry Picking
Still waiting on a new album from Ms. Murphy. This dubby song helped a bit. Was first released on red vinyl with a cut out cherry cover.
- Justus Köhncke – Fussmachine – Nang Records
- Pteradactil Disco – Big Ass Biscuit – Hot Creations
Has a total Detroit Grand Pubahs vibe coming from the nasty lyrics and the four to the floor beat. It’s part of a minimix I did last April.
I waz so blog lazy lazy lazy that I didn’t post Mary and my looks from the Love Saves The Day party in December. So here they are.
And for the next Love Saves The Day Jaime Sin and I will be re-united at the decks after eons. Join us on the dance floor at The Beaver. Saturday, February 4th from 11 pm.
OMG the one and only das hussy has done a spaced out remix of SSION‘s Weird Yearz.
It’s already #1 on my Top 4-20. DL that shet.
I did a MiniEgg Mix for your pre-Hotnuts warm up – doll up party. Happy egg hunting!
And yes, there is some old school Junior Vasquez in there, even some Prince on background vocals.
Rosie Gaines – Exploding All Over Europe (Junior Vasquez Club Mix)
The Muthafunkaz – Gotta Hold On Me (That Scatt Thing) (Kenny Dope Skatt Rubb) / (Kenny Dope Remix)
The Messenger – Main Vibe
Prince Club – Love Jackson
Mason feat. Roisin Murphy – Boadicea (Evil Nine Remix)
Ben Westbeech – Falling (Deetron Paradise Vocal Remix)
Arttu aka Lump – Rise Up
Pteradactil Disco – Big Ass Biscuit
Rosie Gaines – Exploding All Over Europe (Junior Vasquez Club Mix)
I just did a little mini mix of my current favourites for your pleasure. It’s a bit patchworky and choppy, excuse me, I did my nails! Just paint your face while listening, but hurry up it’s only 27 min.
A Taste Of The Honeys – Essential (DJ Minx’s Queen Beats) / Jill Jones – Mia Bocca (Dub)
A Taste Of The Honeys – Essential (Nick Holder’s Essential Mix)
Mercury – Grand Prix De Monaco
Hercules & Love Affair – My House (Leo Zero Remix)
Prince Nifty – Fine Grind
Aaron-Carl – Crucified (Boddhi Satva’s Dub Mix)
Sister Sledge – Thinking of You (Dimitri from Paris Remix)
Beth Ditto – Do You Need Someone
click above and watch and then watch this:
Aside from all the tracks below, my favourite album right now is Chic Organization Box Set Volume 1 – “Savoir Faire”. It has so many disco classics, some are remixed for the first time by Dimitri from Paris. It’s a treasure.
- A Taste of The Honeys – Essential (Nick Holder’s Essential Mix) – Women On Wax
The Ladies of Detroit remixed by Toronto’s Nick Holder. I know this one is from 2008, but I just found it recently. Love it.
- Lee Foss – U Got Me EP – Hot Creations
U Got Me and Run Around are the little bit old school chopped up vocal hits that were released this summer.
- Bon Iver – Woods (das hussy Remix)
Months ago, I begged das hussy to remix Woods by Bon Iver. And when she did, I was in deep house heaven. Listen and download.
- Kim Ann Foxman – Creature / What You Need – MR. INTL
I almost wish it was a little bit less 90ties and more recent sounding. Love it anyhow.
- Storm Queen – Look Right Through (Vox) – Environ
Produced by Morgan Geist “featuring the vocal talents of Damon C. Scott. Scott and Geist met on the NYC subways where Scott performs.”
- Dennis Ferrer – The Red Room (Kyle MF Hall MeMix) – Objektivity
This is hands down one of my favourite remixes in a long time. Raw beats & hard stuttering.
- Justus Köhncke – I Wouldn’t Wanne Be Like You – Total 11 / Kompakt
Space – Deliverance (Justus Köhncke’s ‘Wild Pitch’ Mix) – Nang
I like to start an ealry dj set with I Wouldn’t Wanne Be Like You & set the mood. Smooth and bossy. And later hit the Wild Pitch remix of the disco classic.
- Art Department – Without You – Crosstown Rebels
Love the sloooooowed dooooown deep vocals.
- Mark Ronson & The Business Intl feat. Boy George – Somebody To Love Me (Herve ‘Very Vox’ Remix) – Sony
- Round Table Knights vs Bauchamp – Calypso (Zombie Disco Squad & Miman Remix) – Made To Play
It is what it is. Calypso house.
- Joey Negro presents Kola Kube – Why (Hot Toddy Club Mix) – Z Records
Cover version of the Chic produced Carly Simon classic. Boogie down.
- Toby Tobias – Rock You Will (Dub) – Nang
Basically a re-edit of Giorgio Moroder’s – I Wanna Rock You and some Chic Le Freak.
- Omar feat. Angie Stone – Stylin (Triad’s 118bpm Remix) – Peppermint Jam
- Andy Butler & Jason Kendig – And I’m (So In Love With You) – MR. INTL
Another Mr INTL release that will help us with the wait for the new Hercules & Love Affair album.
- Caribou – Leave House (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix) – Cityslang
Very Arthur Russell.
- Michael Jackson – Get On The Floor (Holy Ghost Edit)
Fantastic MJ disco re-edit.
- Kimiesha Holmes – Love Me True (True Love Mix) – Quark
Original house track from 1989. Luis played this at the last Love Saves the Day.
- Trulz & Robin – Gay Boys – Catalytic
Only Peg Zilla could send me a link to the gayest track on this list.
- 40 Thieves – Don’t Turn It Off (Featuring Qzen) (Brennan Green Remix) – Permanent Vacation
Bubbly acid burner.
- Pantha Du Prince – Welt Am Draht (Animal Collective Remix)
I’ve been so behind with the dj charts. And now, this is what you get, 25 plus songs. Have some patience and work through the list, the diamonds & pearls are not only at the top.
- Crookers feat. Roisin Murphy – Royal T – Southern Fried
I don’t really know if this is the #1 but it sure is a crazy energy song with super highs and mellow parts. So during the breaks you can come up with an interpretive dance interlude. I was lucky enough to have an early copy and so it was Royal T Nuts for a few months. Still waiting for the Riva Starr Vocal mix to come out, the dub is a bit to dull for me.
- Ray Mang – Bullet Proof feat. Lady Miss Kier – DFA
I’ve written about this before. I don’t get tired of listening and playing it. Classic upbeat vocal house. Something about anti war.
- Jazzanova – Look What You’re Doin’ To Me feat. Phonte (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix) – Universal
Who knew this song comes out of Germany? Deep and downbeat. Whoever calls the lyrics kitschy doesn’t get it.
- Pirahnahead & Diviniti feat. Eric King – 2getherness (7 Mile Dub) – Whasdat
This one rumbles the floors. With love from Detroit.
- The MuthaFunkaz – Hangin On A String (Miami Mix) – Code Red
Turning the original Loose ends version from 1985 into a stomper.
- Remerc – Baptista – Greelpound
Cologne in the house. I’m always falling for chopped up vocals or weird vocal sounds.
- Missing Linkx – Who To Call – Philpot Records
Pushy piano geklimper house. Feeling the vocal breaks.
- David Keno – Upside Down – Snatch
You know who sang the original. This is a dubby house version. And there even is a silly video for it. First release on Riva Stars’ label.
- The Martinez Brothers – Don’t No Yet EP – Objektivity
The young boys have taken over & have created a monster EP. All three tracks are hits.
- Jessica 6 – Fun Girl (Keinemusik Remix)
This mix is more straightforward then the 13 min disco workout I’ve mentioned before. One for earlier, one for later. Which is which?
- Omar S aka Alex Smith – Sign And Drive / Here With Me feat. Diviniti – FXHE
Ahhh. Another masterpiece. Love the long intro and then Diviniti’s vocals hit you. So good.
- Tracey Thorn – Why Does The Wind Blow (Ewan Pearson Radio Edit) – Strange Feeling
This song is from her upcoming album which should have the full version. “Love And Its Opposite” will probably be more acoustic from what I heard, so I’m happy we get some dancey stuff as well.
- Willie Graff & Tuccillo – Give You Up (Chez Damier’s A Little More Interpretation) – Freerange
The first time I heard this one, I had the loopy filtered synths in my head for the whole day. It’s a 9 minute trippy house journey.
- Jaffa Surfa – Disko Z (Original Mix) – Bosconi Extra Virgin
Nu new disco.
- Ike – Diskadenz – Philpot Records
Rolling piano beats.
- Ian Pooley – What I Got feat. Tim Fuller (Derrick Carter Vocal Remix) – Pooled Music
Derrick Carter’s trademark bouncy beats bring this track to a whole new level.
- Erykah Badu – Window Seat (Dj Aakmael dubb mixx)
Unofficial deep house remix of Erykah’s lead single. An early or very late, warm song to play.
- Argy & The Martinez Brothers – Debbie Downer
So gut mit MJ Sample.
- Tensnake – Coma Cat – Permanent Vacation
Hier laeuten die Glocken. Peg AssIs turned me onto this one and now I have to play it every time she’s thurrr, just to shut her up and get her dancing.
- Henrik Schwarz And Kuniyuki – Once Again (Kuniyuki Version) – Mule Musiq
What was missing from the charts? Jazzy piano. Here we go.
- Roisin Murphy – Momma’s Place (The C90s Remix)
I believe this remix was commissioned by Ms Murphy but somehow it didn’t get released on the single. Such a pity, because it is the best mix.
- Rennie Foster – Savior feat. Aaron-Carl (Club Mix) – Rebirth
Written and sung by AC. Classic.
- Romanthony – Girls Like Girls (Zanzibar Vocal) – Blackmale
The bf is scared his gf is on the dl. “I don’t wanna be the last to know, that my girl likes girls on the downlow.” So deep it hurts.
- DJ PP – 100% Percusion – Soulman Music
It is what it is. As the title suggests.
- Motorcitysoul – Deliver Me (Original Mix) – Simple
Uuuh, there is also an Acoustic Version.
And some disco classics that I love:
– Suzy Q – Get On Up Do It Again
– Golden Flamingo Orchestra ft. Margo Williams – The Guardian Angel Is Watching Over Us
– Plastic Bertrand – Stop Ou Encore (Ron Hardy Re-Edit)