I’ve been so behind with the dj charts. And now, this is what you get, 25 plus songs. Have some patience and work through the list, the diamonds & pearls are not only at the top.
- Crookers feat. Roisin Murphy – Royal T – Southern Fried
I don’t really know if this is the #1 but it sure is a crazy energy song with super highs and mellow parts. So during the breaks you can come up with an interpretive dance interlude. I was lucky enough to have an early copy and so it was Royal T Nuts for a few months. Still waiting for the Riva Starr Vocal mix to come out, the dub is a bit to dull for me.
- Ray Mang – Bullet Proof feat. Lady Miss Kier – DFA
I’ve written about this before. I don’t get tired of listening and playing it. Classic upbeat vocal house. Something about anti war.
- Jazzanova – Look What You’re Doin’ To Me feat. Phonte (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix) – Universal
Who knew this song comes out of Germany? Deep and downbeat. Whoever calls the lyrics kitschy doesn’t get it.
- Pirahnahead & Diviniti feat. Eric King – 2getherness (7 Mile Dub) – Whasdat
This one rumbles the floors. With love from Detroit.
- The MuthaFunkaz – Hangin On A String (Miami Mix) – Code Red
Turning the original Loose ends version from 1985 into a stomper.
- Remerc – Baptista – Greelpound
Cologne in the house. I’m always falling for chopped up vocals or weird vocal sounds.
- Missing Linkx – Who To Call – Philpot Records
Pushy piano geklimper house. Feeling the vocal breaks.
- David Keno – Upside Down – Snatch
You know who sang the original. This is a dubby house version. And there even is a silly video for it. First release on Riva Stars’ label.
- The Martinez Brothers – Don’t No Yet EP – Objektivity
The young boys have taken over & have created a monster EP. All three tracks are hits.
- Jessica 6 – Fun Girl (Keinemusik Remix)
This mix is more straightforward then the 13 min disco workout I’ve mentioned before. One for earlier, one for later. Which is which?
- Omar S aka Alex Smith – Sign And Drive / Here With Me feat. Diviniti – FXHE
Ahhh. Another masterpiece. Love the long intro and then Diviniti’s vocals hit you. So good.
- Tracey Thorn – Why Does The Wind Blow (Ewan Pearson Radio Edit) – Strange Feeling
This song is from her upcoming album which should have the full version. “Love And Its Opposite” will probably be more acoustic from what I heard, so I’m happy we get some dancey stuff as well.
- Willie Graff & Tuccillo – Give You Up (Chez Damier’s A Little More Interpretation) – Freerange
The first time I heard this one, I had the loopy filtered synths in my head for the whole day. It’s a 9 minute trippy house journey.
- Jaffa Surfa – Disko Z (Original Mix) – Bosconi Extra Virgin
Nu new disco.
- Ike – Diskadenz – Philpot Records
Rolling piano beats.
- Ian Pooley – What I Got feat. Tim Fuller (Derrick Carter Vocal Remix) – Pooled Music
Derrick Carter’s trademark bouncy beats bring this track to a whole new level.
- Erykah Badu – Window Seat (Dj Aakmael dubb mixx)
Unofficial deep house remix of Erykah’s lead single. An early or very late, warm song to play.
- Argy & The Martinez Brothers – Debbie Downer
So gut mit MJ Sample.
- Tensnake – Coma Cat – Permanent Vacation
Hier laeuten die Glocken. Peg AssIs turned me onto this one and now I have to play it every time she’s thurrr, just to shut her up and get her dancing.
- Henrik Schwarz And Kuniyuki – Once Again (Kuniyuki Version) – Mule Musiq
What was missing from the charts? Jazzy piano. Here we go.
- Roisin Murphy – Momma’s Place (The C90s Remix)
I believe this remix was commissioned by Ms Murphy but somehow it didn’t get released on the single. Such a pity, because it is the best mix.
- Rennie Foster – Savior feat. Aaron-Carl (Club Mix) – Rebirth
Written and sung by AC. Classic.
- Romanthony – Girls Like Girls (Zanzibar Vocal) – Blackmale
The bf is scared his gf is on the dl. “I don’t wanna be the last to know, that my girl likes girls on the downlow.” So deep it hurts.
- DJ PP – 100% Percusion – Soulman Music
It is what it is. As the title suggests.
- Motorcitysoul – Deliver Me (Original Mix) – Simple
Uuuh, there is also an Acoustic Version.
And some disco classics that I love:
– Suzy Q – Get On Up Do It Again
– Golden Flamingo Orchestra ft. Margo Williams – The Guardian Angel Is Watching Over Us
– Plastic Bertrand – Stop Ou Encore (Ron Hardy Re-Edit)
Here are my dj charts that I should have posted half a year (or something) ago. Since my last countdown was posted in April, this is almost like a best of 2009. So late. So sorry. But so good.
More recent charts are just around the corner. I promise.
- Jerome Sydenham – Ecoute (Ecoute!) – UK Promotions
Has some “Sylvester – Dance (Disco Heat)” (Martha Wash and Izora Armstead on vocals) in the mix and turns it into a modern disco house track. Love it.
- The Gossip – Love Long Distance (Riva Starr Remix Vocal) – Sony
The remix on soundcloud is not the complete version, but you get the idea of the cut up vocals. Stomper.
- Derrick Carter – A Hope (Over U) (D’s Meeting House Dub) – Classic
Super house classic from the Mo Pschidt Ep, has the chipmunk Friends (The 1:00 Club) on the flipside. I got into it again last year and have been spinning it quite a bit. Both sides.
- Omar-S – Lift Him Up feat. Don Q and Still Serious Nic – FXHE
Lift Him Up is a raw gospel deep house monster featuring Omar-S’s brother on vocals. Still Serious Nic is seriously rough.
- Lady Gaga – Bad Romance (Hercules & Love Affair Mix) – Interscope
You can’t escape Gaga after this nu disco Hercules remix. Best mix of her songs so far. There is also a dub version if you can’t stand the vocals.
- Pezzner – Shasta (Master King Reprise Mix) – Physical Graffiti
Hysterical peak time track. Deep shet.
- Aaron-Carl – I Refuse (Quentin Harris Remix) – Wall Shaker Music
Love the Prince samples in this one. And combined with AC’s vocals, ahhhh, unbeatable.
- DJ T. – Shine On (Motor City Drum Ensemble Warehouse Dub Mix) – Get Physical
Just one of many great Motor City Drum Ensemble mixes that came out last year. Check out Danielo on soundcloud for the latest on Motor City songs.
- The Phenomenal Handclap Band – You’ll Disappear (Horse Meat Disco Remix) – Gomma
Nu disco, space disco. Not sure what to call it.
- Dennis Ferrer – Sinfonia Della Notte – Strictly Rhythm
- Romanthony – Miami (Mix 1)
New, raw production with a vocal loop “Have you ever been to Miami?”
- Justus Köhncke – Lieder der Nacht feat. Marianne Rosenberg – E’de Cologne
So gay. So good. So German.
- Marc Evans – Tonight’s The Night (Miguel Migs Salted Dub) – Defected
- Michael Gray, Danism & Lisa Millett – Say Yes – Defected
- Jovonn feat. Koffee the Story – Kitty Kat (Original Main Mix) – NextMoov
I always fall for some good pussy talk.
- RÃ³isÃn Murphy – Orally Fixated
This one was all over the interwebs when Roisin finally released it. Still pumping.
- Todd Terry – Play On (Eddie Thoneick Remix) feat. Tara Macdonald – Strictly Rhythm
That’s not all. Here’s some Michael Jackson. I love to play these mixes:
- Michael Jackson – Remember The Time (Silky Soul 12” Mix) – Sony
One of my (if not the) favourite MJ remixes. Steve Silk Hurley turned Remember The Time into a house classic. Sorry, couldn’t find a good link for the 12″ version.
- Michael Jackson – Rock With You (Frankie Knuckles Favourite Club Mix) – Sony
This one is so smooth. A good start into the night. I believe it was first released as the B-Side to “You Are Not Alone” in 1995.
- Argy & The Martinez Brothers – Debbie Downer – Objektivity
This came out before Michael’s death. It has a sample (“don’t you dare”) that definitely sounds like MJ, but I can’t make out the song it’s from. Any ideas?
This doesn’t look so different from last year’s top 25.
It was another Mariah-released-a-new-album year.
Happy New Year!
Apart from the songs below, I love to listen to anything Kid Cudi. Hopefully he is coming out with his debut album soon, although Cudi has recently announced and withdrawn, his retirement. In general, I do think it is a great idea to announce the retirement before the first album hits the streets.
- Danism & Michael Watford – Change (Original Mix) – MN2S
From the WMC Miami Sampler. Great beats with a hint of gospel.
- Marc Evans – The Way U Love Me (Spen’s Deadly Love Potion) – Defected
This is such a good dub mix, with some metal hitting sounds. Has a powerful vocal break near the end.
- Black Science Orchestra – Save Us (MotorCitySoul Remix) – Junior Boys Own
- Jennifer Hudson – Spotlight (Quentin Harris Dark Collage Club Mix) – Arista
I’m a little bit late on this one. It is a gay monster. I start playing this after 1:45 min., it is a little bit too circut before. But I loves me some J-Hud.
- 3rd Face – Canto Della Liberta (D’s New 3rd Face Dub) – Classic Recordings
Very hysterical spanish yelling on this new remix of 90ties house.
- Capracara – King Of The Witches (Rub N Tug Remix) – DFA
More new disco from DFA.
- Cece Peniston – Finally (Aaron-Carl Remix)
And I thought I would never listen or dj that song again. Aaron-Carl proved me wrong. The remix pushes some fresh beats through that rusty old homo anthem.
- Mary J. Blige – Give Me You (Club Path / Boris Dlugosch Mix) – MCA
I found this record at an used record store. It is such a pushy remix.
- Lil Louis – Club Lonely (Ill Mark Remix) – Bulk
Unofficial, new remix of the classic house song.
- Moody – Freeki Mutha F cker – KDJ
Moodymann giving us a solid Prince song.
- Stevie Wonder – Make Sure You’re Sure (Timmy Regisford & Quentin Harris Mix) – Un-restricted Access
The original version of the song is from the Jungle Fever soundtrack.
- Andreas Dorau – Im September (Justus Köhncke Remix) – Mute
Im September. Oktober. November. Dezember. That are all the lyrics in Justus’ disco dubby mix that I missed when the song was first released. Amäzing. Available at iTunes Germany.
- Flora Cruz – Overcome (Phil Hooton’s Mel Cheren and Larry Levan Tribute Vocal) – Mixtape Sessions Music
Just from the name you can see that this is a great old-school sounding disco mix.
- Bear Who – U Step (BHQ Remix) – Dust Traxx
More Derrick Carter bouncy Chicago house.
Here is a screen shot of 2008’s Top 25 songs from my iTunes.
Surprising, isn’t it?
Happy New Year!
Can’t seem to get the charts in order this time.
More or less top ten like. Here we go:
This time the charts have lots of double entries, like artists, labels, remixers.
Enjoy them twice.
- Danny Clark & Jay Benham feat. Susu Bobien – Wondrous (Muthafunkaz Remix) – Strictly Rhythm
You know I like a gospel number on top. Streaming on Strictly’s myspace.
- Bernard Badie – Time Reveals (Club Use Only) – Mojuba
This is a re-release from 1994.
- Hercules & Love Affair – You Belong (D’s New Rhythm Bounce) – DFA
Bouncy & funky. It’s a stone winner.
- Aaron-Carl – Oasis (Nick Holder Vocal Dub) – Superb
- Fantasia – Not The Way I Do (Jovonn Remix) – Promo
- Bernard Badie feat. Dajae – Truth Hurts (Club Mix) – Smooth Agent
The upcoming Aaron-Carl remix is streaming on his myspace.
- The Sunburst Band – Rough Times (Joey Negro Club Mix) – Z Records
- The Sunburst Band – Journey To The Sun (Dennis Ferrer Remix) – Z Records
- Home & Garden feat. Chez Damier – In And Out (JT Donaldson Dub) – Om
- Groove Armada feat. Angie Stone – Feel The Same (Muthafunkaz Love Remix) – Strictly Rhythm
- Ricky L – Your House (*****L Remix) – Ibadan
Basically an Alanis Morissette remix. Heard it first when ND play it at Die Boot.
- Watussi – If All We Had Was Love – Sticky Disc
- Babytalk – Chance (Hercules & Love Affair Remix) – Sticky Disc
- Mariah Carey feat. LL Cool J – I’ll Be Lovin’ U Long Time (Remix) – Island
I put this one at the end but it is another category. My favourite remix off E=MCÂ².
Let me start the seasonal chart blog with a list of second-hand vinyl I bought recently, 90ties house at its best:
D-Influence – No Illusions (MK’s Dumb Dub) – EastWest Records
Janet Jackson – Go Deep (Masters At Work Vocal Deep Disco Dub) – Virgin
Jeanne Harris – Just Another Man (Squeeze & Tease Me Mix) – Studio Records
Ceybil – Love So Special (Extended Original Underground Mix) – Atlantic
I had never heard the Mark Kinchen remix of No Illusions. I immediately fell in love with the vocals, the beats, shouts & groans. And so can you.
- K. Hand – Feel Free – Acacia
Kelli Hand released 5 Cd’s of her remixes, often based on short vocal samples of deep house classics. Hysterical. Feel Free is my favourite track. I Can’t Take You Leaving Me, Reaction, I’ll Never Let You Down and Just Want You Back are also great. And many more. Viola introduced me to Kelli a while back: Do You Love Me starts with a fairground announcer shouting: “Jetzt bring’ ma wieder Schwung in die Kiste. Hey, ab geht die Post. Let’s Go. Let’s Fetz. Volle Pulle. Volle Power. Super.”
- Flora Cruz – Overcome EP – Mixtape Sessions Music
- Terence Parker – I’m Happy (Ron Carroll’s BMC Get Down Vocal Mix) feat. Bishop Edmound Griffin Sr – Superb
First burner from Superb.
- The Anointed Pace Sisters – High Praise (Spen & Thommy Davis Dub Mix) – Superb
Up. Lift Him up. Up. Up. I could live without the “hands together” chants but anyway. Lift Him up.
- Mary J. Blige – Just Fine (Jovonn Remix) – Promo
Heard it first on Aaron-Carl’s weekly radio show. So Hot.
- Chaz Jankel – Get Myself Together (Hercules & Love Affair House Mix) – Tirk
- Roisin Murphy – You Know Me Better (Nightmoves Remix) – EMI
Listen to the soon to be released mix on Roisin’s remix myspace.
- Chic – I Want Your Love (Todd Terje Edit)
- Hercules & Love Affair – Blind (Hercules Club Mix & Frankie Knuckles Remix) – DFA
I’m ready for the next single already, which hopefully has a Marc Kinchen mix.
- Kalup Linzy – Asshole (Dance Remix)
- Colette – About Us (Derrick Carter’s B.H.Q. Vocal) – Om
Has a touch of Kylie.
- Guy Robin Feat. Anthony Moriah – Bless You Brother (Underground Mix) – Hustle Music
- Mark Grant – Guessing Again (Yass Remix) feat. Russoul – Suburban
- Inner City – Pennies From Heaven (Slow To Speak Mix) – Virgin
This is basically an edit of two previously available mixes: Deep Reese Mix & Kevin’s Tunnel Mix.
- Jesus Jackson – Damn (Jacob London Remix) – Physical Graffiti
Funky Prince sounds on the Strictly Rhythm spin-off.
The Overpowered album by Roisin Murphy was finally released this week. A special limited edition double coloured LP is going to follow in November. It’s the pop-dance-electro-disco (whatever you want to call it) album for fall. My favourite song seems to change every other day, right now it is Body Language, which you can not listen to here but here.
- Aaron-Carl and DJ E. Dubb – The Door (Original Mix) – Wallshaker
There is nothing better than an angry Aaron-Carl song.
“I don’t want you no more. Pack your shit. Here’s the door.”
- Jill Scott – Hate On Me (Shelter Vocal) – Restricted Access
Remixed by Quentin Harris. I’m always in on hater lyrics.
- Chuck Love – Beatdown (Jimpster Mix) – OM
If you can’t get enough of the forward pushing Jimpster sound, I suggest his remix of 400 Years by Bob Marley and the Wailers. Trippin’.
- Kanye West feat. Dwele – Flashing Lights – Roc-A-Fella
I still love the synth stabs on this one so much. It is the next single off Graduation. Is this the first time paparazzi is rhymed with Nazi?
“Till I get flashed by the paparazzi
Damn, these nigga’s got me,
I hate these nigga’s more than the Nazis”
- Moodymann – I’d Rather Be Lonely – KDJ
- Grand High Priest – Long Time Coming (GHP Vocal) – Re-House
Remix of A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke.
- Veronique – Use Me (Sunday Morning Dub, Afterhours Mix) – Wallshaker
Another stompin’ AC production. The dub is quite peak hour, for later or earlier, there is the Afterhours Mix.
- Marlon D – Jesus Creates Sound (Main Mix) – Strictly Rhythm
Don’t you love the cheesy “This is a journey into sound” sample, the hi-hats and cymbal clashes?
- Yass – He Reigns (Main) – Purple Music
Gospel in da house.
- Marvin Gaye – Music (Karizma Remix) – Rotgut Records
This looks more like a link dump than charts. Please bare with me.
- The Brand New Heavies – Let’s Do It Again (Kenny Dope O-Gutta Remix) – Dope Wax
After the remixes for “I Don’t Know Why (I Love You)“, here’s another stomper.
- Grand High Priest – Mixdown – Strictly Rhythm
One of the first new releases on the relaunched Strictly Rhythm label. This instrumental track is a thunderstorm of hand claps and cowbells. Another highlight on the sampler is Quentin Harris feat. Cordell McClary – U Don’t Know. Both songs are now available on separate records, too.
- Marcus Mixx – Without Makeup (Ron Hardy Mix) – Let’s Pet Puppies
More Chicago house. Just recently found this record of previously unreleased Ron Hardy mixes. The label caught my attention: Chicago without Makeup. Dark handclaps.
- Feist – My Moon My Man (Boys Noize Classic Remix) – EMI
- Roisin Murphy – Overpowered (Seamus Haji Remix) – EMI
- Simian Mobile Disco – I Believe (Prins Thomas Diskomiks) – Wichita
- CSS – Let’s Make Love and Listen To Death From Above (Hot Chip Remix) – WEA
Very dramatic Hot Chip mix that turns around half way through.
- Tracey Thorn – Raise the Roof (Cagedbaby Remix) – EMI
- Osunlade – Queen’s Battle – Strictly Rhythm
From the Osunlade album. “Get that shit off my face.”
- Justin Timberlake – Love Stoned (Justice Remix) – Jive
I heard Final Fantasy did the strings on that one. No? Anyway, can’t wait for a live version by Owen.
- 2raumwohnung – Ja (Just Us Remix) – It Sounds
The lyrics make me cringe but the La Koehncke mix makes it all good.
- Chin Chin – Appetite (Chicken Lips Extended Vocal Mix) – Dialect Recordings
- Snax – Honeymoon’s Over (Konrad Black Remix) – Fine Music
Maybe I even like the original version better, not sure.
- DJ Camacho – Me (Original Demo Mix By D Camacho) feat. Janae Jordan – 157 Shelter Records
“I’d like a man not a boy who thinks he can understand what it is to be with a woman like me.”
- Prince – Future Baby Mama – Columbia
I like that Future Baby Mama. I bet you want to listen to the full song after you listened to that clip. Please.